The main purpose of any proxy server is to ensure that client requests are received on behalf of the server and to redirect traffic to the target computer with a separate IP ID. In this case, there is no direct switching between your computer and the web resource or server. Sometimes the client and the target machine do not even suspect that they are dealing with an intermediary. The server receives the data and then forwards it to the actual recipient. This allows, for example, to establish a communication connection between two devices, if they are incompatible with each other.
There are two types of proxies: those that work locally on the network – it makes sense in companies, for example, to facilitate transmission over corporate Internet lines. And those ensured by the provider.
Ordinary users decide to buy proxies for several reasons:
- protection of a computer or network from some network attacks, ensuring confidentiality;
- overcoming restrictions on social media and entertainment sites in the workplace;
- connecting several computers to the network with only one IP address;
- the desire to save traffic (this allows you to do the so-called caching proxy, which runs on the computer);
- ensuring prompt access to information and reducing the load on the Internet channel.
The proxy will also protect you from intrusive advertising: it configures content filtering, so you can weed out adult ads or materials.
Many free proxy servers are easy to find through any search engine. Their main disadvantage is related to the main advantage: due to publicity, such servers are used by many people, and they work slowly. When working with paid proxy servers, this disadvantage is excluded, because you can select the best of them by several criteria: for example, speed, response delay, and so on.